FORT HILL CEMETERY. Hand-book of Fort Hill Cemetery: Containing Information Respecting the Ancient Mound and Fortification, and the Indian Monument within the Enclosure. Also, The Ordinances of the Board of Trustees. , 127 pp. Small 8vo., publisher's brown cloth, title in gilt, blind stamping on spine. Auburn: W.J. Moses, 1853.
Fort Hill Cemetery was incorporated on May 15, 1851 under its official name: "Trustees of the Fort Hill Cemetery Association of Auburn." This handbook visits the history of Fort Hill of Auburn, NY, as well as the surrounding areas. Fort Hill is considered one of the best-preserved fortified villages of the Cayuga Indians who used the area as a fortified hill in the middle of the 16th century. Hall's History of Auburn (1860) describes Fort Hill as "a bold eminence located in the western part of Auburn, which, by the beauty of its groves and its prominence as a point of observation, should, in the opinion of many citizens, be converted into a park." Covers worn, browning from a newspaper clipping (?) on title-page, else internally clean.
Item nr. 141523