DANREITER, Franz Anton. Die Saltzburgische Kirchen-Prospect. / Les Prospects des Eglises de Salsbourg... Illustrated with an etched title and 20 engraved plates. Augsburg: Johann Andreas Pfeffel, ca. 1730. Millard, Northern 19. BOUND WITH:
_____________. [Schloss Mirabell, Salzberg]. Illustrated with etched and engraved dedication leaf and 5 engraved plates. Augsburg: Johann Andreas Pfeffel, ca. 1730. Millard, Northern 21. BOUND WITH:
_____________. [Hoch-Furstl. Gebaudes und Garten zu Mirabell in Salzburg]. Illustrated with 9 engraved plates. Augsburg: Johann Andreas Pfeffel, ca. 1730. Millard, Northern 20. BOUND WITH:
_____________. Vier Prospect des Schloss zu Salzburg. / Les Quatre Prospects du Chateau de Salsbourg. Illustrated with 4 etched and engraved plates. Augsburg: Johann Andreas Pfeffel, ca. 1730. Millard, Northern 22. BOUND WITH:
_____________. Die Garten Prospect von Hellbrun. / Les Prospects du Jardin d'Hellbrun. Illustrated with 20 etched and engraved plates. Oblong folio, 332 x 465 mm, bound in contemporary mottled and tanned sheepskin, with the later blind-stamped monogram of William Sterling Maxwell on front and back cover, and title information stamped on lower edge of text block. Augsburg: Johann Andreas Pfeffel, ca. 1730. Millard, Northern 17.
Five volumes on 18th-century Salzburg architecture and gardens, all in First Editions, with an important provenance. A total of 60 etched and engraved plates after designs by Franz Anton Danreiter. Includes two title-pages and 58 images of gardens, cathedrals and other structures, landscape design, and schematic plans for important castles and gardens in and around Salzburg. The first title has an engraved title-page and 20 plates depicting cathedrals and a hospital; the second with engraved dedication leaf and 5 plates of plans and buildings of Schloss Mirabell; the third, 9 plates of gardens and a garden plan of Mirabell; the fourth consists of 4 plates showing Schloss Salzburg; and the fifth with an allegorical engraved title and 19 images of gardens, fountains, and other structures at Hellbrun. Text at bottom of plates in German and French.
Franz Anton Danreiter (d. 1760) was appointed by Leopold Prince of Salzburg as Inspector of Gardens (Oberaufseher aller Salzburgichen Hofgärten). Leopold was the owner of the estate at Hellbrun, and the present work provides some of the very few eighteenth-century visual records of the gardens. Danreiter was responsible for planting the famous garden of the Schloss Mirabell and later supervised the construction of the Sebastiankirche in Salzburg.
The palace of Hellbrun, located three miles south of Salzburg, was built around 1615. It contains the famous mechanical theaters, as well as the acclaimed fountains. Danreiter's Garten Propect von Hellbrun contains an allegorical title-page, a plan of the estate showing the designs of the gardens, a view of the entrance of the Jardin de Plaisance, a view of the Batiment de Plaisance, two views of the gardens from the park, three views of the courtyards of the palace, views of the Grotto of Neptune and of Thetis, a view of the eerie sculptures in the woods entitled: Le Monstre de la Forêt, views of the fountains of Cleopatra, of Actaeon, and of Diane, views of the garden theaters of stones and of shells, a view of the garden pond, a view of the Édifice de Plaisance, and finally, a view of Belvedere, the Maison de Plaisance. The plates are in fine condition, in a beautiful binding.
PROVENANCE: Sir William Sterling Maxwell, baronet, (1818-1878) with his large ex-libris on inside front cover and blind-stamped monogram on covers; Keir Art of Design, with ex-libris on inside back cover; Liberna "L" in circular blind-stamp at foot of first blank leaf. Sterling-Maxwell was one of the thirty-five original members of the Philobiblon Society and a member of the Athenaeum Club. Historian, scholar, bibliographer, collector, and a main figure in the literary circles of Victorian England.
All of these works are quite scarce. OCLC gives one copy of the second, at University of Illinois. RLIN lists one copy of the first, one of the third, and one of the fourth, all at Princeton. RLIN lists one of the fifth at Canadian Centre for Architecture.
Not in Hunt, Plesch, Nissen or Pritzel. First and third not in Berlin Katalog, second 3335, fourth 2109, fifth 3334. Thieme-Becker VIII, 376.
Item nr. 166942