WARHOL AS BOOK ARTIST
WARHOL, Andy. A Collection of Warhol's Early Work in Books and Magazines. Comprised of 47 books and 10 magazines. Various formats, sizes and bindings, each as originally issued. Each item preserved in new cloth folding box. Various Places: 1951-2004.
A nearly complete collection of Warhol's work as an illustrator, and as a designer of dust jackets for trade publications, as well as covers for magazines. This aspect of Warhol's creative output is little known, little collected, and the material has been largely ignored. A recent exhibition entitled Reading Warhol at the Brandhorst Museum in Munich brought much of the forgotten material to the attention of Warhol scholars and collectors. However, that exhibition covered only books and ephemera, and did not deal with his magazine covers.
The majority of our collection documents Warhol's early work, beginning shortly after he arrived in New York from Pittsburgh in 1949. The importance of these illustrated book and magazine covers is easily understood when one sees how his later style evolved from the imagery seen in these early works. The collection includes 10 magazines for which Warhol designed the covers, including the celebrated cover for Esquire, all 5 issues of Time magazine, and his covers for Vogue, Playboy and Opera News.
Lacking only five books listed in Reading Warhol, and not including the seven books published by Warhol himself in the limited handmade editions. The dust wrappers for the books published in the fifties and sixties are extremely rare and are now virtually impossible to find on the market.
See: Reading Warhol, catalogue of exhibition at the Museum Brandhorst, September 18, 2013-January 12, 2014 (Ostfildern: Hatje Cantz, 2013).
1. Firbank, Ronald. Three Novels. Norfolk, CT: New Directions, 1951.
2. Stein, Aaron Mark. Pistols for Two. New York: Doubleday, 1951.
3. Hutchins, Maude. Love is a Pie. Norfolk: New Directions, 1952.
4. Vanderbilt, Amy. Amy Vanderbilt's Complete Book of Etiquette. New York: Doubleday, 1952.
5. Charteris, Leslie. The Saint in Europe. New York: Doubleday, 1953.
6. Madrigal, Margarita. Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish. New York: Doubleday, 1953.
7. Cecil, Henry. According to the Evidence. New York: Harper, 1954.
8. Halsey. Ladies Home Journal Book of Interior Decoration. New York: Doubleday, 1954.
9. Plomer, William. Borderline Ballads. New York: Noonday Press, 1955.
10. Vanderbilt, Amy. Amy Vanderbilt's Everday Etiquette. New York: Doubleday, 1956.
11. Slenczynska, Ruth & Louis Biancolli. Forbidden Childhood. New York: Doubleday, 1957.
12. Saliff, Alice. Best in Children's Books, Volume 5. New York: Doubleday, 1957.
13. Leeming, Joseph. Best in Children's Books, Volume 7. New York: Doubleday, 1958.
14. Best in Children's Books, Volume 15. New York: Doubleday, 1958.
15. Best in Children's Books, Volume 21. New York: Doubleday, 1959.
16. Sheinwold, Alfred. Best in Children's Books, Volume 27. New York: Doubleday, 1959.
17. Moran, Jim. Best in Children's Books, Volume 33. New York: Doubleday, 1960.
18. Alexander, David. Madhouse in Washington Square. Philadelphia: Lippincott, 1958.
19. Ross, Walter. The Immortal. New York: Simon and Schuster, 1958.
20. Steegmuller. Francis. The Grand Mademoiselle. New York: Doubleday, 1960.
21. Stendhal. The Red and the Black. New York: Doubleday, 1960.
22. Miller, Clyde. The Summer Dancers. New York: MacMillan, 1961.
23. Neame, Alan. The Adventures of Maud Noakes. New York: New Directions, 1961.
24. Prevost. Manon Lescaut. New York: Doubleday, 1961.
25. Vanderbilt, Amy. Amy Vanderbilt's Complete Cookbook. New York: Doubleday, 1961.
26. Vanderbilt, Amy. Amy Vanderbilt's New Complete Book of Etiquette. New York, 1963.
27. Malanga, Gerald. Screen Tests/A Diary. New York: Kulchur Press, 1967.
28. Warhol, Andy. a. A Novel by Andy Warhol.New York, Grove Press, 1968
29. Warhol, Andy. Index Book. New York: Grove Press, 1968.
30. Warhol, Andy. Warhol. Stockholm: Moderna Museet, 1968.
31. Warhol, Andy. Blue Movie: a Film by Andy Warhol. New York: Grove Press, 1970.
32. Warhol, Andy. Chic Death. 1971.
33. Warhol, Andy. The Philosophy of Andy Warhol. New York: Harcourt Brace, 1975.
34. Warhol, Andy. Exposures. New York: Grosset, 1979.
35. Stokes, Geoffrey. The Beatles. New York: Rolling Stone, 1980.
36. Warhol, Andy and Pat Hackett. POPism. New York: Harcourt Brace, 1980.
37. Mommsen, Katharina. Who is Goethe? New York: Suhrkamp, 1983.
38. Warhol, Andy. Children's Book. Zurich: Bischofsberger, 1983.
39. Dalton, David and Ron Cayen. James Dean. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1984.
40. Goodenough, Simon. The Greatest Good Fortune. Edinburgh: Macdonald, 1985.
41. Warhol, Andy. America. New York: Harper and Row, 1985.
42. Williams, Tennessee. Collected Stories. New York: New Directions, 1985.
43. Benirschke, Kurt. Vanishing Animals. New York: Springer, 1986.
44. Hesse. Wer lieben kann, ist Gluecklich, uber die Liebe. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1986.
45. Warhol, Andy and Pat Hackett. Andy Warhol's Party Book. New York: Crown, 1988.
46. Warhol, Andy. The Andy Warhol Diaries. New York: Warner Books, 1989.
47. Warhol, Andy. Red Books. New York: Pace Gallery, 2004. Reprint of 1969-75 editions.
Magazines for which Warhol designed the cover:
1. Opera News. December 1, 1958.
2. Time Magazine. January 29, 1965.
3. TV Guide. March 5-11, 1966.
4. Esquire. May 1969.
5. Time Magazine. February 16, 1970.
6. Vogue, Paris. September 1983.
7. Time Magazine. March 19, 1984.
8. Time Magazine. April 1, 1985.
9. Playboy. January 1986.
10. Time Magazine. September 29, 1986.
Item nr. 150212